Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remembering 9/11 and a Day Off for Dad

Nathan has accrued so much vacation time that if he doesn't start taking time off he will lose it. He went to school with the kids this morning to volunteer and this is a little of his day with them. This is his account of the day.
"The principal at our kids' school started the day talking about why we as Americans should take time to remember important dates in our nation's history. Many of the students were not even born on 9/11/01, so he briefly reviewed why today is so significant. Later that morning, all three first grade classes walked to our neighborhood fire station with flags they had colored in class. The flags were mounted on wood stakes so they stuck them in the grass around the flag pole. They also made a thank you note for all the fire fighters who selflessly serve our community."
As a family we went to the fire station after school to take a few pictures of Andrew and some of his first grade friends.



He also had lunch with Andrew and helped in Sarah's classroom. Then he spent the afternoon with Spencer. We LOVED having "time off" with our dad!!!

2 comments:

The Pick's Patch said...

Laura & Nathan! I found you on Wendy's blog (I know her sister Courtney-we used to work together...and I've met Wendy)...so I'm guilty of blog spying but took a peak hoping it was the Nathan and Laura I knew and it was! It's Amy Archibald Pickering...So I'm hoping we can be blog friends (at least) What are you guys up to? Where does Nathan work? Is he still at LDSFS? Are you teaching? And....you have 4 children!!! Wow! They are beautiful too! I'd love to keep in touch!
Here's our blog: andrewthomas2005.blogspot.com

The Stones said...

I've missed out on so much lately and was so glad to catch up. You are Super MOM!!! And Nathan too... Super Dad and Super Mom! I just keep getting the best ideas from you. What a fun labor day weekend. I have zuccini coming out of my ears and would love to try that recipe, thank you. I have a zuccini casserole recipe and a chocolate cake recipe that I love too. Let me know if you want either. Benjamin gave me the BIGGEST hug on Sunday. One of the nursery leaders asked if I were OK because it was such a good one. It totally melted my heart. I LOVE my calling!